For yoga to be used safely as medicine and to meet the needs of today's society, yoga postures should evolve by embracing the current evidence base. Medical Therapeutic Yoga provides this evolution.
• This book serves as a modern, non-dogmatic, evidence-based guide to yoga posture and breath prescription based on the most current biomechanical and neurophysiological theory and common mechanisms of injury.
• Medical Therapeutic Yoga covers injury prevention and wellness, clinical evaluation and diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation, and organizational and professional health and well-being.
• The book applies yoga as medicine for physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, sports medicine, pain management, and physical and rehabilitative medicine.
• Evolution of the postures and breath techniques, via the evidence-based precepts presented in the book, will provide a patient-centered biopsychosocial model of assessment through the lens of integrative medicine and orthopaedics.
• Medical Therapeutic Yoga brings a large body of work, known as medical therapeutic yoga, to health care professionals, making provision for safe and relevant application of yoga postures as medicine.
• The book is accompanied by an online reference of photographic sequences for medical yoga program planning and prescription. This book will be invaluable for health care professionals, yoga therapists, and yoga teachers, including but not limited to:
• physical therapy and manual therapy
• osteopathy and orthopaedics
• physical and rehabilitative medicine
• occupational therapy
• athletic training
• massage therapy
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.60(h) x 0.90(d)|
Table of Contents
Information on instructional videos xiv
1 Precepts for integration of yoga and rehabilitation 1
2 The biopsychosocial model for yoga in healthcare 13
3 Neurophysiological foundations for evidence in practice: historical and contemporary support 29
4 Respiratory assessment and special testing 75
5 Functional movement assessment algorithm 105
6 Standing postures 151
7 Seated postures 189
8 Supine postures 223
9 Prone postures 255
10 Semi-inversions 277
11 Applied Medical Therapeutic Yoga 295
12 Considerations for medical providers and yoga professionals 313