• Put the needs of others above your own?
• Start to panic when someone you love leaves—or threatens to?
• Often feel anxious about natural disasters, losing all your money, or getting seriously ill?
• Find that no matter how successful you are, you still feel unhappy, unfulfilled, or undeserving?
Unsatisfactory relationships, irrational lack of self-esteem, feelings of being unfulfilled—these are all problems that can be solved by changing the types of messages that people internalize. These self-defeating behavior patterns are called “lifetraps,” and Reinventing Your Life shows you how to stop the cycle that keeps you from attaining happiness.
Two of America's leading psychologists, Jeffrey E. Young, Ph.D., and Janet S. Klosko, Ph.D., draw on the breakthrough principles of cognitive therapy to help you recognize and change negative thought patterns, without the aid of drugs or long-term traditional therapy. They describe eleven of the most common lifetraps, provide a diagnostic test for each, and offer step-by-step suggestions to help you break free of the traps. Thousands of men and women have seen the immediate and long-term results of the extraordinary program outlines in this clear, compassionate, liberating book. Its innovative approach to solving ongoing emotional problems will help you create a more fulfilling, productive life.
|Publisher:||Penguin Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||5.32(w) x 7.97(h) x 0.86(d)|
|Age Range:||18 Years|
About the Author
Dr. Young is coauthor of a psychotherapy outcome study evaluating the effectiveness of cognitive therapy in comparison to antidepressant medication. He has also served as consultant on many cognitive and schema therapy research grants, including the NIMH Collaborative Study of Depression, and on the editorial boards of journals including Cognitive Therapy and Research and Cognitive & Behavioral Practice. For his exceptional teaching skills, Dr. Young was awarded the prestigious NEEI Mental Health Educator of the Year award in 2003.
Janet S. Klosko, PhD, Codirector of the Cognitive Therapy Center of Long Island, in Great Neck, New York, is senior psychologist at the Schema Therapy Institute and at Woodstock Women's Health in Woodstock, New York.
Table of ContentsReinventing Your LifeForeword by Aaron Beck, M.D.
2. Which Lifetraps Do You Have?
3. Understanding Lifetraps
4. Surrender, Escape, and Counterattack
5. How Lifetraps Change
6. "Please Don't Leave Me!": The Abandonment Lifetrap
7. "I Can't Trust You": The Mistrust and Abuse Lifetrap
8. "I'll Never Get the Love I Need": The Emotional Deprivation Lifetrap
9. "I Don't Fit In": The Social Exclusion Lifetrap
10. "I Can't Make It on My Own": The Dependence Lifetrap
11. "Catastrophe Is About to Strike": The Vulnerability Lifetrap
12. "I'm Worthless": The Defectiveness Lifetrap
13. "I Feel Like Such a Failure": The Failure Lifetrap
14. "I Always Do It Your Way!": The Subjugation Lifetrap
15. "It's Never Quite Good Enough": The Unrelenting Standards Lifetrap
16. "I Can Have Whatever I Want": The Entitlement Lifetrap
17. A Philosophy of Change