A New Vision of Inclusive Leadership
What makes someone a leader? Someone you vote for, work for, or listen to for their expertise? With Step Up, equality advocate Ash Beckham challenges us to embrace a different vision of leadershipto stop focusing on external authorities and start reclaiming our own ability to create change. “What we need most is everyday leaders,” she writes. “We need people who step up and be the change they wish to see in the world. Anyone can do it. You can do it.”
Whether your path involves activism, political engagement, or simply being a positive voice in your workplace, home, and community, Beckham’s Step Up provides essential guidance on cultivating the eight pillars of everyday leadership:
- Empathythe art of relating to others with compassion for our shared humanity, regardless of whether we agree
- Responsibilityhow we can raise our awareness and consciously choose to behave in ways that heal instead of harm
- Courageunderstanding the nature of fear so we can move beyond our comfort zone one step at a time
- Gracehow keeping our higher purpose always in sight helps us stop reacting with fear or anger
- Individualitylearning to value and celebrate our uniqueness, including the parts of ourselves we often reject
- Humilityways to keep the ego in check and open the door to honest, collaborative relationships
- Patienceguidance for disarming our tendency to rush ahead so we can act with greater deliberation and forethought
- Authenticityhow we can embody our deepest truths and lead by example in any situation
For each pillar, Beckham shares engaging stories of her own journey from isolation and anger to a place of greater openness and connectionsupported by scientific research and everyday practices to mindfully change the way you relate to yourself and the people in your life. Step Up is a powerful call to actionto speak when it feels easier to be silent, to do good without being self-righteous, and to create a world of inclusion where everyone has a voice and everyone belongs.
|Publisher:||Sounds True, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||5.40(w) x 8.10(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Ash Beckham is an inclusion activist whose TEDx Talk “Coming Out of Your Closet" became a viral sensation. Her talk shares how coming out as a lesbian helped her appreciate our common humanity and the secrets that we all keep. Her intrepid, relatable, and intrinsically comical style has made her an in-demand speaker and trainer for companies including Microsoft, Lockheed Martin, Bank of America, and more. She was the keynote for the first LBGTQ Conference at Harvard University. For more, visit ashbeckham.com.