A Shamanic Odyssey of Discovery
When you leave the beaten path of civilization, you enter the world of primal and mysterious forcesand encounter wonders you never thought possible. This is the territory of the shaman. To learn the secrets of shamanism, José Luis Stevens has traveled to the remote and wild places where the oldest human spiritual practice still exists in its purest form. With Encounters with Power, this respected teacher invites you to experience his journeys to meet shamans around the globeand share in the wisdom he received. Join this master storyteller as he recounts his meetings with Spirit in its many guises, including:
• India and the Life-Changing Readingat a turning point in his life, Jose receives a startlingly accurate prophecy
• Lost in Mexicoa humbling education in the difference between "power" and "control"
• The Guatemala Test and Initiationthe power of being frugal with judgment and generous with forgiveness
• Encounters with the Power of Aborigines and Songlines Down Undersometimes the teacher appears when the student is not ready
• Journeys for Power with Medicinevisions with the plant spirit of ayahuasca
• A Magical Andes Weddingan unforgettable ceremony attended by people, spirits, and the forces of nature
• The Dolphin Brujosnature’s tricksters teach a sharp lesson in responsibility and humility
• Encounters with the Dark Shamana perilous jungle journey reveals the ferocity of nature and the dangerous side of shamanic practice
• Nevado Aconcagua: Pilgrimage to a Sacred Mountainhow a holy place can be both a dangerous trial and a source of limitless support
Power is everywhereencounters with power can happen any time. "In my travels to meet these extraordinary healers," writes José, "I’ve had terrifying, enlightening, and at times hugely entertaining adventures. Power can destroy us or it can raise us up by teaching us and nourishing us. I may not be a master, but I have learned a few things that you may find helpful on your own quest."
|Publisher:||Sounds True, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||5.41(w) x 8.04(h) x 0.72(d)|
About the Author
José Luis Stevens
José Luis Stevens, PhD, is an international lecturer, teacher, consultant, and trainer. A psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, and author of eighteen books and e-books, as well as numerous articles, he is also on the board of the Society of Shamanic Practitioners. He is the cofounder of the Power Path School of Shamanism and the Center for Shamanic Education and Exchange. He completed a ten-year apprenticeship with a Huichol marakame and has studied extensively with the Shipibos of the Amazon and the Q’ero of the Andes for the last twenty years.
He has a doctorate in integral counseling from the California Institute of Integral Studies, an MSW from the University of California, Berkeley, and a BA in sociology from the University of Santa Clara, California.
He lives in Santa Fe with his wife and companion, Lena. See thepowerpath.com.
Table of Contents
Part I Expression-Storyteller-Artist
1 The Power of Prophecy: India and the Life-Changing Reading 3
2 The Right Way to Die 25
3 Lost in Mexico 43
4 The Guatemala Test and Initiation 51
5 Encounters with the Power of Aborigines and Songlines Down Under: Or "When the Student Is Not Ready" 65
Part II Inspiration-Ceremonialist-Healer
6 Q'eros: Encountering the Power of the Land and Its People 83
7 Journeys for Power with Medicine: Visions with Ayahuasca 99
8 The Power of Dieting in the Jungle: Plant Teachings 111
9 The Power of Communion: A Magical Andes Wedding 133
10 An Encounter with Power Through a Healing Crisis: The Natural Traveling Pharmacy 141
Part III Action-Chief-Warrior
11 An Encounter with Power: Completing a Huichol Apprenticeship with Sacred Peyote 157
12 A Second Pilgrimage to Regalia: Encounters with the Dark Shaman 175
13 An Encounter with the Dolphin Brujos 201
14 Nevado Aconcagua: Pilgrimage to a Sacred Mountain for Power 209
15 Traversing the Andes and Other Powerful Passages 229
In Closing 239
About the Author 243