99.5 In Stock
The Psychic Immune System theorizes the existence of a hidden variable that acts via both unconscious and conscious processes to protect humans individually and collectively from mortal threats. Much like the physical immune system, the psychic immune system scans for danger, protects, heals, and ensures human safety and survival. Kroth argues that it isn’t just luck that has enabled people to survive the multitude of epidemics, wars, and environmental disasters that could have resulted in extinction, but rather the work of a complex system that has enabled us to survive. Scrutinizing a variety of past and present threats, Kroth points to traces of a systematic force that has protected humans. Recommended for scholars of psychology, history, and political science.
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||5 MB|
About the Author
Jerry Kroth is associate professor emeritus in the graduate counseling psychology program at Santa Clara University.
Table of ContentsIntroduction: Invisibility Part I: Dark Matters
- Two Strains of Plague
- On the Shore with Thucydides
- Nuclear Winter
4. An Overview of the Physical Immune System
5. The Innate Psychic Immune System: Fight-Flight, Competition, and Territoriality6. The Innate Psychic Immune System: Cooperation, Nonviolence, and Reciprocal Altruism 7. The Adaptive Immune System8. The Artificial Psychic Immune System
9. The Invisible Psychic Immune System
Part III: An Experimental Test of the Theory
- 10. Hypothesis Testing: Where the Rubber Meets the Road
- 11. How Global Warming Might Test the Theory of the Psychic Immune System